11.5, profiler, startup

Hudson, James - DNR
Just got 11.5 - we're always behind.

On one of our instances, I have access to the hierarchical profiler. When I have the setting checked to use it, I'm getting connection times of about 45 minutes. It's running about 5000 queries against the hierarchical profiler tables (TOAD.DBMSHP_FUNCTION_INFO and TOAD.DBMSHP_PARENT_CHILD_INFO), each taking about 100 ms. That's when the parent-child table only has 550 rows.

On the other hand, when I unclick the hierarchical and switch to another instance, it's doing thousands of queries from TOAD.DBMS_PROFILER_DATA. But at least those only take 5 ms each so connect happens in 10-20 seconds. Still slow, but survivable.

If we were using the profiler as much as we should, I expect it'd be much worse.

Stats seem to be up to date. However, I doubt if the scripts for the TOAD schema have been updated in a while - certainly not since 10.5, maybe 9.7 or even earlier. (For example, the dbmshp tables don't exist on some instances). So there may be missing indexes, etc.

What should we be looking for? What our DBA's should be doing?

Thanks,

-- jim

James F. Hudson
Wisconsin Department of Natural Resources
Madison, WI
(608) 267-0840

RE: 11.5, profiler, startup

Michael Staszewski II
This is a bug in 11.5 which has been resolved for 11.6. The only workaround at this time is to remove the profiler. There is a little dropdown beside the Toggle Profiling button on the main Toad toolbar. Click that and you can remove the profiler objects. Connection times will be fast again. The next time you enable profiling Toad will guide you through the profiler setup steps which is a fast process with few steps.

Michael