Column mode select - be cautious if you are not english or american

Column mode select - be cautious if you are not english or american

offset00
Hi all,

in TOAD there is a useful feature to select text in column (block) mode. If you use (left)shift+alt and the arrow keys you can do so.

Due to problems with my elbow I had to change my mousearm recently to left and got a bit slow with the keyboard for that reason.

When you type not fast enough with shift+alt and arrows your keyboard layout will change to your other languages, in my case to english or japanese. All my beloved umlauts and even the german sharp s are gone!

The reason is, as I had to learn, a windows shortcut [left-shift]+[alt] to change the keyboard layout.

Workaround is to type this keys again in a roundabout manner until your original language is restored or to close the TOAD application and reopen it.

Just my 2 euro-cents for this TOAD knowledge base.

best regards
Hans Hauer,
Vienna(Austria)

RE: Column mode select - be cautious if you are not english or american

Michael Staszewski II
That shortcut can bite you in many applications. It gets me every time after a fresh install of the OS and my development environment. If you do not use those shortcuts in Windows, disable them. If you are on Windows 7...

Region and Language window|Keyboards and Languages tab|Change keyboards... button|Advanced Key Settings tab|Set both items in there to Not Assigned.

Michael