Coming Soon! Toad Week Toad Strong

Donna Buskirk
Dear Toad for Oracle Users,
Please remember to tell the next generation how much time Toad saves you.
Thank you. :)
[ToadThumbsUp.png]

Toad Week
Toad Strong
Weekly tips to strengthen your use of Toad

  Toad for Oracle

(c) Copyright 2012, all rights reserved

Archived Issues
(single PDF): ToadForOracle.com<http://toadfororacle.com/entry.jspa?externalID=4972&categoryID=391>.
Lots of links and info to help you use Oracle well by using Toad well.

Favorites from the List

"I....but...you...and the...wasn't....

Must be that my eyes glazed over."

See what fun we have? Join us in the Beta program after 11.6 goes live. :)
Tipsy Toad
Share your favorite tips. Email me<mailto:[hidden email]?subject=Tipsy%20Toad> with "Tipsy Toad" in the subject line. [cid:image004.png@01CD55E2.63FEB860]

Still Reading?<mailto:[hidden email]?subject=Tipsy%20Toad>

Need a lift?

There is good news - it is simply under-reported.

If you think about it, there is probably more good news than bad. It just isn't in the news.

GoodNewsNetwork.org.

As far as I can tell, it is apolitical. Whew.

[https://encrypted-tbn2.google.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRXMIMPXWvpdxsAHAPlpuTHDGRndctwZM2UcXXV6viVuSzUqFwBWg]

August 17, 2012
Upgrade info and a must-read book.
News

-          Beta users, you are most likely using the last public beta (should expire mid-October).

-          We are putting the wraps on 11.6, to be delivered to management the end of August (fast approaching), to go public the first week of October.
Go team!
Upgrade Me
Ready for 11.6? What - not on 11.5 yet?

We feel for our users who work in large firms where it can be challenging for IT departments to deploy companywide upgrades. We also know cost-cutting measures sometimes have management considering alternatives.
Once they understand the cost-saving and time-saving benefits of Toad, they realize using Toad and upgrading are in their best corporate interests.
Of course our Developers want to see you using the latest and greatest. They work so hard and really are committed to making your lives easier.
So if you are not yet using 11.5 (our current GA version) pass this on, and thanks.
TechRepublic<http://www.techrepublic.com/whitepapers/toad-for-oracle-115-more-powerful-than-ever/4235821?tag=content;siu-container> reports on Toad for Oracle 11.5.
Database Trends and Applications<http://www.dbta.com/Articles/Editorial/News-Flashes/Breaking-News---Quest-Toad-for-Oracle-11-Offers-Enhancements-to-Reduce-Risk-77840.aspx> reports on Toad for Oracle 11.0.
There are also many videos on YouTube demonstrating what's new in 11.5. Check them out, and thanks for watching.
Book for Greater Data
Already have this? What's your favorite part?
You don't need much time to read this week's issue, and that's good, because you need time to read the book mentioned on our Beta list this week:
[http://netdna.copyblogger.com/images/email-bottle.jpg]"A new set of scripts has been uploaded to the Toad World Repository. (Coming in 11.6.) They are from Guy Harrison's book entitled 'Oracle Performance Survival Guide.'"
"In case you've not bought nor read this book - it's simply the single best tome on Oracle performance ever written...."

---

"What Bert said ++"

---

New Toadies
[cid:image003.jpg@01CD55E2.63FEB860]
You were new once, too, and look at you now!
What questions do you have for the list? Go ahead and ask - we are not the poisonous variety of toad.

Make this a great weekend,
- the Toad Team
Source of the future-looking toad photo; we (Greg) took the liberty of adding sunglasses because you are all so cool:
www.digitalcinemareport.com/Sundance-Cane-Toads-Barco-Dolby
Source of the email image:
http://www.copyblogger.com/get-your-email-opened/
Source of the "happy" toad: The birthday thread at bigfooty.com

image003.jpg (4K) Download Attachment
image004.png (29K) Download Attachment
image001.gif (62 bytes) Download Attachment
image002.png (322 bytes) Download Attachment
image002.jpg (6K) Download Attachment
image008.gif (62 bytes) Download Attachment
image005.gif (62 bytes) Download Attachment
image008.jpg (34K) Download Attachment
image006.jpg (7K) Download Attachment
image010.jpg (5K) Download Attachment

Argh - Lost my connections file and all saved passwords

Bryan, Timothy
My desktop unexpectedly shut down while toad was running.  After a restart I received a message indicating the password file cannot be shared between different users and it will be replaced.  My connections page is empty.  I had about 15 or 20 database connections with saved passwords in here.  Is there any way to salvage this?  Where is this file saved so I can back it up?
Thanks

Best Regards

Timothy Bryan
We are what we repeatedly do.  Excellence, therefore, is not an act but a habit.
Aristotle

Waste Management recycles enough paper every year to save 41 million trees. Please recycle any printed emails.

Re: Argh - Lost my connections file and all saved passwords

Finny.Benny
I had the same happen a week or two ago and traced it down to the
CONNECTION*.* files in C:\Documents and Settings\USER\Application
Data\Quest Software\Toad for Oracle\11.5\User Files. Although my search
was not comprehensive, I couldn't find a backup of it anywhere that I
looked.

If anyone has had this happen to them or knows how to recover the
connection info (and more importantly to me, the named SQL), please chime
in. Apparently, this is happening to multiple users.

In my situation, I don't recall an expectant shutdown or anything unusual.

FB

From:   "Bryan, Timothy" <[hidden email]>
To:     "[hidden email]" <[hidden email]>,
Date:   08/22/2012 10:05 AM
Subject:        [toad] Argh - Lost my connections file and all saved
passwords
Sent by:        [hidden email]

From:        "Bryan, Timothy" <[hidden email]<mailto:[hidden email]>>
To:        "[hidden email]<mailto:[hidden email]>" <[hidden email]<mailto:[hidden email]>>,
Date:        08/22/2012 10:05 AM
Sent by:        [hidden email]<mailto:[hidden email]>

________________________________

My desktop unexpectedly shut down while toad was running.  After a restart I received a message indicating the password file cannot be shared between different users and it will be replaced.  My connections page is empty.  I had about 15 or 20 database connections with saved passwords in here.  Is there any way to salvage this?  Where is this file saved so I can back it up?

Thanks

Best Regards

Timothy Bryan

We are what we repeatedly do.  Excellence, therefore, is not an act but a habit.

Aristotle

________________________________

Waste Management recycles enough paper every year to save 41 million trees. Please recycle any printed emails.

RE: Argh - Lost my connections file and all saved passwords

Brad Boddicker
Hello,

Here is some information about these features that may help...

A directory with named _bak indicates that you have gone to utilities > copy user settings and selected to create a clean set of user files from the base installation or re-imported user settings from a previous install.  Have you done this lately?  If so, 11.5_back should have a file named CONNECTIONPWDS.INI which contains your passwords and CONNECTIONS.INI which contains your connections.  If you copy over CONNECTIONS.INI without CONNECTIONPWDS.ini, you won't get your passwords and you also should not get the error mentioned below.  The only time you should get the error about losing your connection pw's is when you copy over both files and fail encryption.  Our encryption keys off of your user profile windows path.  So if you happened to copy over settings from another user name (domain or machine name), encryption will fail.

image001.jpg (456 bytes) Download Attachment

RE: Argh - Lost my connections file and all saved passwords

Bryan, Timothy
Hi Brad,

It helps to understand more about how the feature works.  Unfortunately, all the connections and passwords have been lost as neither of the profiles seems to contain any.  I guess I don't much care for how it handled the situation, but it is what it is.   After I get it rebuilt, I will back up that directory for future.  It seems a windows box tends to crash occasionally so better be prepared for it.
Thanks again
Timothy

[...]

If it helps at all, Toad 11.6 will have a dropbox feature.  You can sync Toad with dropbox so that you can backup all of your Toad settings in the cloud.

[...]

Michael Staszewski II
Also, Dropbox provides automatic file versioning so even if a corrupt file is uploaded to Dropbox you can always restore a previous version from their website.