Comparing Database Version to VCS (TFS) version in Toad 10.6

Comparing Database Version to VCS (TFS) version in Toad 10.6

Ana Roje Ivančić
Hi!

The environment we set up at a client's site more than a year ago includes versioning Oracle DBs using Toad, Team Coding and TFS2010. They are using MSSCCI provider and Toad 10.6.

Now we are doing a revision of the system, aiming to figure out if they are using versioning according to the rules we defined back then.

Test databases have been imported using Team Coding, and then Team Coding was disabled so that they can not check in changes from the test database.
On the other hand, disabling team coding means that they could have made changes to database objects (although they should not be doing that).

Now we need to see for each object in the DB if there are differences between its state on TFS and its state in the DB.

The direction from DB to TFS can be achieved using the Code Control Groups option "Export to VCS" (I choose the option "Create new revision if the object has not changed").

How can I get the opposite direction - see if there are changed objects on TFS that are not in the database?
I am not allowed to make changes to the database (so I can not do a Get Latest version), but just get the list of differences.
The database is large, so I can not do a diff/compare for each object. I need something on the level of the database, schema or each code control group.

I tried doing an "Import to Database" for a Code Control Group with the option "Create Script", but it creates a scripts for all objects in TFS, not just changed ones.

Any suggestions?

Are there any changes related to diff actions in Toad 11?

Thanks,
Ana

RE: Comparing Database Version to VCS (TFS) version in Toad 10.6

Stephen Beausang
Hello Ana,
This is a great question. Team Coding does not have a specific function to do this.  User's will be warned if they attempt to check out objects that have been modified outside of Team Coding. You can also use the 'View Differences' function against individual objects. Neither, will fully accomplish what you need. I think this would be would be a great request for the Toad Idea Pond.

The following approach might work. If you can import your Team Coding objects into another compare schema, you may be able to use the Schema Compare function to do what you need.
In Team Coding Code Collections, do a 'Compile Latest Revision'. In the 'Import Options' dialog, select 'Update another schema'. This will import the objects in the VCS to the test schema. You can then do a Schema  Compare between this schema and your test schema.

Stephen

Ana

RE: Comparing Database Version to VCS (TFS) version in Toad 10.6

Ana Roje Ivančić
Stephen,

Thank you for your answer.
This sounded like a great idea, and I tried the following:

-           Created an empty schema in the same DB (so no tables, no DB fields, fully empty)

-           Tried to import a function and a view from the VCS as you suggested

Because there are no tables and fields in this schema, the result was this:

-           The Function was imported, but it was invalid,

-           The View was not imported, the error was "ORA-00942: table or view does not exist".
I have not tried importing other object types.

So it seems like I need to have a schema with all underlying objects for this suggested import to work. Am I right?

The DB in question is very large and the DB admins say that it is a pretty complicated procedure to create a copy of an existing schema...

Do I have any other possibility?

Ana

RE: Comparing Database Version to VCS (TFS) version in Toad 10.6

Stephen Beausang
Hello Ana,

See my comment below.  The import issue you describe is addressed in the Toad 11.6 patch candidate and in the Toad 12 beta. I just tested this on an empty schema, and it appears to work correctly.

I am not aware of another way of doing this in Toad.

If you do a create new revision from the existing database, into a new workspace, you could attempt some way of comparing the revisions, or the workfiles.

If anybody has a suggestion for a good tool to do this, please chime in :)

Stephen

This sounded like a great idea, and I tried the following:

-           Created an empty schema in the same DB (so no tables, no DB fields, fully empty)

-           Tried to import a function and a view from the VCS as you suggested

Because there are no tables and fields in this schema, the result was this:

-           The Function was imported, but it was invalid,

-           The View was not imported, the error was "ORA-00942: table or view does not exist".
I have not tried importing other object types.

So it seems like I need to have a schema with all underlying objects for this suggested import to work. Am I right?
[STVCG] :) You are correct ... I came across this only in the last few weeks. It is working in the latest Beta, and also in the Toad 11.6 patch, which has not yet been released.

The DB in question is very large and the DB admins say that it is a pretty complicated procedure to create a copy of an existing schema...

Do I have any other possibility?
[STVCG] :( I am not seeing a possibility in Team Coding.

Ana

RE: Comparing Database Version to VCS (TFS) version in Toad 10.6

Ana Roje Ivančić
For all having the same issue please vote for the idea ponds:

Team Coding - Comparing Database Version to VCS (TFS) version - http://toadfororacle.ideascale.com/a/dtd/Team-Coding-Comparing-Database-Version-to-VCS-TFS-version/414642-8477?submitted=1

Additionally, I have added another useful request:

Team Coding - Bulk Export to VCS (TFS) -  http://toadfororacle.ideascale.com/a/dtd/Team-Coding-Bulk-Export-to-VCS-TFS/414645-8477

Cheers,
Ana

Ana

RE: Comparing Database Version to VCS (TFS) version in Toad 10.6

Stephen Beausang
Thanks for posting these Ana.  I think both are potentially great additions to Team Coding.