Recommendations gone from Formatter

Dan Condon-Jones-2
Hi

I've just noticed that formatting my code no longer puts recommendations in when we've got silly things like unused variables.

Has this functionality moved somewhere else?  I've always much preferred this to the other profiling/code correctness options that Toad provides.

Thanks

Dan

Re: Recommendations gone from Formatter

Dan Condon-Jones-2
Anybody?

--- In [hidden email], "Dan" <dan.condon-jones@...> wrote:

> Hi
>
> I've just noticed that formatting my code no longer puts recommendations in when we've got silly things like unused variables.
>
> Has this functionality moved somewhere else?  I've always much preferred this to the other profiling/code correctness options that Toad provides.
>
> Thanks
>
> Dan

Re: Re: Recommendations gone from Formatter

Gregory Liss
This has been replaced by CodeAnalysis.  If you have "check code as you type" turned on, it does it in real time.

Greg

On Oct 29, 2012, at 4:49 AM, "Dan" <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Anybody?
>
> --- In [hidden email], "Dan" <dan.condon-jones@...> wrote:
>>
>> Hi
>>
>> I've just noticed that formatting my code no longer puts recommendations in when we've got silly things like unused variables.
>>
>> Has this functionality moved somewhere else?  I've always much preferred this to the other profiling/code correctness options that Toad provides.
>>
>> Thanks
>>
>> Dan

Re: Recommendations gone from Formatter

Dan Condon-Jones-2
That's what I feared.

At our work we have a standard set of Formatter Plus options that we use - and part of the benefit of that is it forces people to have warnings put into their code.

Generally people turn off the CodeAnalysis because it covers their code in lines so they're not getting any warning anymore.

For what it's worth I do still have it turned on on my machine, but it's much less enforcible than the Formatter Plus options are.

Dan

--- In [hidden email], Gregory Liss <gregory.liss@...> wrote:

> This has been replaced by CodeAnalysis.  If you have "check code as you type" turned on, it does it in real time.
>
> Greg
>
> On Oct 29, 2012, at 4:49 AM, "Dan" <dan.condon-jones@...> wrote:
>
> > Anybody?
> >
> > --- In [hidden email], "Dan" <dan.condon-jones@> wrote:
> >>
> >> Hi
> >>
> >> I've just noticed that formatting my code no longer puts recommendations in when we've got silly things like unused variables.
> >>
> >> Has this functionality moved somewhere else?  I've always much preferred this to the other profiling/code correctness options that Toad provides.
> >>
> >> Thanks
> >>
> >> Dan

RE: Re: Recommendations gone from Formatter

Gregory Liss
Maybe the solution is to create a custom rule group that only convers the items that are important to you and your team.  Then the only thing that has the "squiggles" are the things that they should be looking at.

Greg

At our work we have a standard set of Formatter Plus options that we use - and part of the benefit of that is it forces people to have warnings put into their code.

Generally people turn off the CodeAnalysis because it covers their code in lines so they're not getting any warning anymore.

For what it's worth I do still have it turned on on my machine, but it's much less enforcible than the Formatter Plus options are.

Dan

--- In [hidden email], Gregory Liss <gregory.liss@...> wrote:

> This has been replaced by CodeAnalysis.  If you have "check code as you type" turned on, it does it in real time.
>
> Greg
>
> On Oct 29, 2012, at 4:49 AM, "Dan" <dan.condon-jones@...> wrote:
>
> > Anybody?
> >
> > --- In [hidden email], "Dan" <dan.condon-jones@> wrote:
> >>
> >> Hi
> >>
> >> I've just noticed that formatting my code no longer puts recommendations in when we've got silly things like unused variables.
> >>
> >> Has this functionality moved somewhere else?  I've always much preferred this to the other profiling/code correctness options that Toad provides.
> >>
> >> Thanks
> >>
> >> Dan

RE: Re: Recommendations gone from Formatter

Stephen Beausang
Dan,
If you are using Team Coding,  you can also set the Code Analysis integration option. You could select to validate by the custom rule group, as described by Greg.  That way, instead of the "squiggles", the developers could get a warning when checking in code that violates the custom rules.

Stephen

--- In [hidden email]<mailto:toad%40yahoogroups.com>, Gregory Liss <gregory.liss@...<mailto:gregory.liss@...>> wrote:

> This has been replaced by CodeAnalysis. If you have "check code as you type" turned on, it does it in real time.
>
> Greg
>
> On Oct 29, 2012, at 4:49 AM, "Dan" <dan.condon-jones@...<mailto:dan.condon-jones@...>> wrote:
>
> > Anybody?
> >
> > --- In [hidden email]<mailto:toad%40yahoogroups.com>, "Dan" <dan.condon-jones@> wrote:
> >>
> >> Hi
> >>
> >> I've just noticed that formatting my code no longer puts recommendations in when we've got silly things like unused variables.
> >>
> >> Has this functionality moved somewhere else? I've always much preferred this to the other profiling/code correctness options that Toad provides.
> >>
> >> Thanks
> >>
> >> Dan

RE: Re: Recommendations gone from Formatter

Simoneau, Roger
>> Generally people turn off the CodeAnalysis

This is where a good culture of peer review before SYS testing would be invaluable.  After all - people could turn off their formatter as well.

Have the individual performing the peer review run the code through the formatter/Code Analysis and pass it back to the Dev for repairs.

Of course: I recognize how very difficult it is to get a good culture for sound code in a proprietary environment.  I still speak of such after 13 years and have only achieved minimal success.  But - just because most of the solid stuff is not standard: that doesn't stop me from performing such tasks :)

Roger A. Simoneau
Systems Analyst
Alberta Blue Cross
(780) 498-8837

This communication, including any attached documentation, is intended only for the person or entity to which it is addressed, and may contain confidential, personal and/or privileged information. Any unauthorized disclosure, copying, or taking action on the contents is strictly prohibited. If you have received this message in error, please contact us immediately so we may correct our records. Please then delete or destroy the original transmission and any subsequent reply.

RE: Re: Recommendations gone from Formatter

Andre Vergison
> because it covers their code in lines

If you mean something like long squiggles running over several lines then I can just tell you that we do not like that neither and we’re in the process of adjusting any such rules to just squiggle one or two words.

Thanks,
Andre