Team Coding and Subversion

Bryan, Timothy
I setup Team Coding and have setup Subversion to work with toad.  The Status page shows all green checks but when I try to setup Code Collections I am not able to select a SVN project.  The box pops up with 'SVN' listed and an arrow next to it, but no options to choose.  Trying to pick SVN does not work.  How do I setup projects for SVN or is this an issue with the connection I have setup?

I am setup using WebDAV connection as: https://txaust03app133.wm.com/svn/wm/operations/ocs/OCSDatabase/Schema/OCSDev

I tried also just using: https://txaust03app133.wm.com/svn/wm/operations/ocs but neither will show me projects in this dialog.

How do I setup projects to select from?

Timothy Bryan
Software Engineer Principal
OCS Development Team
WM Waste Management
1021 Main Street, Suite 1728 - C
Houston, TX   77002
* (713) 328-7944
* [hidden email]<mailto:[hidden email]>

Waste Management recycles enough paper every year to save 41 million trees. Please recycle any printed emails.

RE: Team Coding and Subversion

Stephen Beausang
The issue is almost certainly in the SVN Configuration.

I have uploaded a document to ToadWorld that gives detailed configuration steps for SVN. There is one section in WebDav.

http://toadfororacle.com/entry!default.jspa?categoryID=391&externalID=5051. You might also want to check this recent thread on the groups as we covered much of this ground.

I suggest configuring SVN for VCS File integration first (no TeamCoding) to make it easier to troubleshoot.

I also suggest setting  the 'Enable VCP Debug  Logging' option in Options Source Control. This creates a log file that can show the command that is being passed to SVN when you are attempting to retrieve the project list.

*        Enable VCP Debugg Logging

*        Set Subversion(SVN) as the default VCS.

*        Configure SVN for Webdav.

*        You may need to shut down and reopen Toad.

*        Attempt 'Select VCS Project' on the Team Coding toolbar.

*        In options Source Control you should be able to open and read the log file. The last entry will be the SVN list command. It will be something like this

svn.exe" list --username **** --password **** http://myserver/myproject
You can attempt running this command from the command line. If the configuration is correct the command will return a list of projects.

Stephen

________________________________

Waste Management recycles enough paper every year to save 41 million trees. Please recycle any printed emails.

RE: Team Coding and Subversion

Bryan, Timothy
Thanks Stephen,

This helps and I now have the connection working.  I created folders in the subversion repository for each type of object in the database and created Code Collections based on the different objects.  When clicking 'Create New Revision' to get copies of all into the repository, I get prompted for every single object indicating it does not exist.  By clicking OK on each one, there are hundreds of objects, they get added to my local working copy directory.  Then from that directory, I check them in.  Surely everyone has not had to go through that, but I am hoping it was only the one time.

My next questions are:
What are others doing about tracking changes to Tables, Scheduled Programs, and Scheduled Jobs?

Once a few developers all make change and check it in, how are others creating release scripts from this change?

I really wish I could spend 30 minutes with someone who has this down to a process.  Anyone have a real process that would share?

Best Regards;
Timothy Bryan
We are what we repeatedly do.  Excellence, therefore, is not an act but a habit.
Aristotle

Waste Management recycles enough paper every year to save 41 million trees. Please recycle any printed emails.

RE: Team Coding and Subversion

Stephen Beausang
Hi Tim,
You should not get prompted each time. Can you tell me which version of Toad you are using? There are 4 options when you go to create a new revision. I have tested here on the latest beta and for the first three it seems to work correctly. The 4th option 'Prompt individualy for all existing', works, but there seems to be an issue with the  'Yes to all' and 'No to all'  options, still forcing a prompt.

I would try to do a 'Create new revision' again to see if it you still get prompted. You can do it for a subset of your objects by right clicking on the treeview to 'Uncheck all' and then checking only the objects you wish to include.

Table's, Scheduled Programs, and Sheduled Jobs, are not controlled in Team Coding at present, but is something we have considered.  This would be a great request to add to the Toad Idea Pond :).

I  would prefer to leave the process question to someone more qualified than I to answer.

Stephen

Waste Management recycles enough paper every year to save 41 million trees. Please recycle any printed emails.

RE: Team Coding and Subversion

Bryan, Timothy
Hi Stephen,

Thanks again for the insight.  I am using TOAD 11.5.0.56 and only have two options on the Code Group page.  Those are 'Compile latest revision...' and 'Create new revision...'

I used the Create new revision option, and there is no option for 'yes for all' or 'no for all'.  I guess, I will update my TOAD to the latest and see if that helps.

The next item that just came up is the Code Groups are no longer appearing in the list.  I had them all here and now nothing.  I tried to create another and the list still shows the groups, but when I try to create the mask I am prompted with the message a group already exists with this mask.  Not sure what happened, as they were here when I closed the form about 30 minutes ago.  The connection is still valid as the VCS project link still shows my repository projects.

I will upgrade my TOAD now and hopefully will not lose all my connection info again.
Thanks

Best Regards;
Timothy Bryan
We are what we repeatedly do.  Excellence, therefore, is not an act but a habit.
Aristotle

Waste Management recycles enough paper every year to save 41 million trees. Please recycle any printed emails.

RE: Team Coding and Subversion

Stephen Beausang
Tim,
The options I refer to are in the Dialog that opens after you press 'Create new revision' .. you should see this dialog after you click ok. This is in all versions after 11.0 .

[cid:image001.png@01CDBB48.E8957200]

Update to 11.6 should correct the issue with the Code Groups not displaying .

image001.png (12K) Download Attachment

[cid:image001.png@01CDBB46.C5962A30]

Update to 11.6 should correct the issue with the Code Groups not displaying .

Stephen

image001.png (12K) Download Attachment

RE: Team Coding and Subversion

Bryan, Timothy
After updating there are parts of this working better.  Now, I have other issues that are making this difficult.  When I 'Create new revision...' for Code Collections to create the initial revision in the repository, I am prompted with the subversion repository dialog. I drill down into the repository where the folder is for this collection and click OK and it works.  I get prompted for this again for every single object being generated.   We have some object types where there are hundreds of objects.  This will take me hours upon hours to get this done like this.

Any idea how I can get around this?  When I edit the collection group, I picked for instance 'Views' and I pick the VCS project here.  The working directory is dimmed and indicates 'SVN Assigns Working Folder' but these two settings are not working correctly with 11.6 version.  This piece worked ok with 11.5 but instead, I was prompted because the object didn't yet exist.

[cid:image001.png@01CDBC2A.6AD2CA60]

Update to 11.6 should correct the issue with the Code Groups not displaying .

Stephen

image001.png (12K) Download Attachment

RE: Team Coding and Subversion

Bryan, Timothy
In 11.5, I get a dialog to confirm only the type objects included in the code collection group.  But, then I have to confirm every single one that does not exist with this message.

[cid:image002.png@01CDBC2B.82C051F0]

In 11.6, I get a list of *ALL* objects requiring me to uncheck all those not included as part of the code collection type.  Then I get this message to locate the repository for every single object.  The repository is collapsed to 'SVN' and I am required to expand down and pick the repository.  This occurs for every single object.  Any assistance would be much appreciated.
Thanks

[cid:image001.png@01CDBC2D.2A75B600]

[cid:image003.png@01CDBC2B.82C051F0]

[...]

image002.png (87K) Download Attachment
image003.png (12K) Download Attachment
image001.png (79K) Download Attachment

RE: Team Coding and Subversion

Stephen Beausang
Hi Timothy,
I am checking in to this.

Stephen

[cid:image002.png@01CDBC39.530E3450]

[cid:image004.png@01CDBC39.530E3450]

[cid:image005.png@01CDBC39.530E3450]

image004.png (79K) Download Attachment
image005.png (12K) Download Attachment

RE: Team Coding and Subversion

Stephen Beausang
Tim,
I just tested this on 11.6, and got the same error as you described in your initial email. I also tested it on my dev build for the 11.6 patch, as it addresses a similar issue and it seems to correct the issue.

The patch release should be in the next month or so. It will also be in the next Toad 12 beta release.

Stephen

[cid:image002.png@01CDBC3F.CB301560]

[cid:image004.png@01CDBC3F.CB301560]

[cid:image005.png@01CDBC3F.CB301560]

Update to 11.6 should correct the issue with the Code Groups not displaying .

Stephen

image004.png (79K) Download Attachment
image005.png (12K) Download Attachment

RE: Team Coding and Subversion

Bryan, Timothy
Thanks Stephen,

I was wishing it was just me and doing something wrong so I could correct it.  I am glad you were able to duplicate so it can be addressed however.  I will just have to bite the bullet and click through all the dialogs to get this initial repository filled up.  It may take all day but will be a bit faster in TOAD 11.5 since I only have to click 'OK' for each one and not expand all the SVN nodes for each one.
Thanks for your help.

[cid:image001.png@01CDBCB4.CBC71710]

[cid:image002.png@01CDBCB4.CBC71710]

[cid:image003.png@01CDBCB4.CBC71710]

[...]

image001.png (87K) Download Attachment
image002.png (79K) Download Attachment
image003.png (12K) Download Attachment

RE: Team Coding and Subversion

Stephen Beausang
Tim,
If you can hold off and download to the next beta ( which should be in a few days) , the issue is fixed and should save you a bunch of time.

[cid:image001.png@01CDBCCB.8EB40D80]

[cid:image002.png@01CDBCCB.8EB40D80]

[cid:image003.png@01CDBCCB.8EB40D80]

Update to 11.6 should correct the issue with the Code Groups not displaying .

Stephen

image002.png (79K) Download Attachment
image003.png (12K) Download Attachment

RE: Team Coding and Subversion

Bryan, Timothy
Thanks Stephen

I got some done and checked in, however I am now getting this error just by clicking on an object in the schema browser.  If I am logged in as the Team Coding Admin currently with DBA rights and full access to this schema, I get the below message.

If I log in as the Schema Owner, I get the bottom message; slightly different in that it offers to kick me out and restart.  By unchecking the box and closing, I can now click on the object and see the right pane details.

[cid:image004.png@01CDBD89.57B01860]

[cid:image005.png@01CDBD89.57B01860]

[cid:image006.png@01CDBD89.57B01860]

[cid:image007.png@01CDBD89.57B01860]

[cid:image008.png@01CDBD89.57B01860]

[...]

image004.png (52K) Download Attachment
image005.png (51K) Download Attachment
image006.png (87K) Download Attachment
image007.png (79K) Download Attachment
image008.png (12K) Download Attachment

RE: Team Coding and Subversion

Stephen Beausang
Hello Tim,
I can't tell from the information why you are getting the error. I do see where it occurring. Can you click on the click here and send the me the call stack offline?

Is this for all controlled objects ?

[cid:image001.png@01CDBDBD.27155330]

[cid:image002.png@01CDBDBD.27155330]

[cid:image003.png@01CDBDBD.27155330]

[...]