Toad 11.5 and editing an XMLType

drbubo20-2
As reading the following article:
Now when I invoke the editor by double-clicking on an XML cell, Toad sends the XML text directly to my editor of choice. When I'm done, I can send the data back to Toad to COMMIT my work. (http://www.toadworld.com/BLOGS/tabid/67/EntryId/466/Toad-for-Oracle-XML.aspx)

Would you help me how can I post a newly created XML back to Toad?

Tamas

RE: Toad 11.5 and editing an XMLType

John Dorlon
Assuming you are using a CLOB column to store your XML, since Toad 11.5 doesn't let you edit XMLTYPE due to OCI limitations in the Unicode-enabled mode....

Can you just double-click in the empty CLOB column and paste your XML into the popup editor?

Re: Toad 11.5 and editing an XMLType

drbubo20-2
John,

I'm using XMLType column. Double click in the empty cell the pop-up editor is read-only because of OCI limitations, it's ok.
So I filled the XML Editor (MS XMLNote, and also the XMLMarker) in the Options|Executables.
But however I tried to save the content of the XML document in these Editors they didn't post the XML back to Toad (this new empty XML created like C:\Users\<user>\Appdata\Local\Temp\TOAxxxxx.tmp)

Tamas

--- In [hidden email], John Dorlon <john.dorlon@...> wrote:

> Assuming you are using a CLOB column to store your XML, since Toad 11.5 doesn't let you edit XMLTYPE due to OCI limitations in the Unicode-enabled mode....
>
> Can you just double-click in the empty CLOB column and paste your XML into the popup editor?

RE: Re: Toad 11.5 and editing an XMLType

John Dorlon
XMLTYPE columns are read only in Toad.  The pop up editor is read only because the OCI won't let us post XML changes back to the database.   An external editor isn't going to change that.  The article you read used a CLOB column that had XML data in it, not an XMLTYPE column.

--- In [hidden email]<mailto:toad%40yahoogroups.com>, John Dorlon <john.dorlon@...<mailto:john.dorlon@...>> wrote:

> Assuming you are using a CLOB column to store your XML, since Toad 11.5 doesn't let you edit XMLTYPE due to OCI limitations in the Unicode-enabled mode....
>
> Can you just double-click in the empty CLOB column and paste your XML into the popup editor?

And what can I do in these situations? How can I add some XML content to a column that has an XMLType type? Is the only way to use INSERT statements?

T.

--- In [hidden email], John Dorlon <john.dorlon@...> wrote:

> XMLTYPE columns are read only in Toad.  The pop up editor is read only because the OCI won't let us post XML changes back to the database.   An external editor isn't going to change that.  The article you read used a CLOB column that had XML data in it, not an XMLTYPE column.

Insert statements will only work if your XML text is less than 4000 characters.   If it is longer, you'll get Oracle errors.

Another option is to make a table that is a copy of your 'real' table, using only the primary key and xmltype columns, except declare the xmltype columns as clob, then work with that table, and when done, copy the data back to the real table with update or insert statements.

We know this is a pain for a lot of people and I wish I had a better answer for you.

And what can I do in these situations? How can I add some XML content to a column that has an XMLType type? Is the only way to use INSERT statements?

T.

--- In [hidden email]<mailto:toad%40yahoogroups.com>, John Dorlon <john.dorlon@...<mailto:john.dorlon@...>> wrote:

> XMLTYPE columns are read only in Toad. The pop up editor is read only because the OCI won't let us post XML changes back to the database. An external editor isn't going to change that. The article you read used a CLOB column that had XML data in it, not an XMLTYPE column.

Uhhh, that's really painful. I didn't find any information about it in the Help...

What is the last version of Toad that can handle XMLType with the built-in XML pop-up editor? 9.7 or earlier?

Tamas

--- In [hidden email], John Dorlon <john.dorlon@...> wrote:

> Insert statements will only work if your XML text is less than 4000 characters.   If it is longer, you'll get Oracle errors.
>
> Another option is to make a table that is a copy of your 'real' table, using only the primary key and xmltype columns, except declare the xmltype columns as clob, then work with that table, and when done, copy the data back to the real table with update or insert statements.
>
> We know this is a pain for a lot of people and I wish I had a better answer for you.

If you don't care about Unicode, then you can use Toad 9.7 to edit XMLTYPE.  Just be sure that your Oracle client is the same as or higher than your database version, and don't use anything older a 10.2 client.