Whats your killer feature?

r_squires
I was chatting with one of my colleagues who is still using TOAD 9.6 and I asked him why he didn't upgrade to 11.5.  He wasn't sure what the benefit would be.  We use the Schema Browser and SQL Editor primarily so the best I could come up with were:

1. The editor now highlights every instance of a selection
2. You can compare the values of multiple lines of data in the data grid to identify differences
3. Describing an object now groups all of your describes together so that you don't have lots of describe windows all over the place

But, it got me thinking.  What's your killer feature?

RE: Whats your killer feature?

Bert Scalzo
How about Toad 9.6 does not work with Oracle 11g case sensitive passwords - so user might not be able to connect :)

But, it got me thinking. What's your killer feature?

Re: Whats your killer feature?

Norman Dunbar
In a word, unicode.

--
Cheers,
Norm. [TeamT]

RE: Whats your killer feature?

mgainty

Agreed!

without UTF-32 support Toad has the structure and strength of the olympic stadium....(but without the covering)
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/UTF-32

+1 for Unicode
Martin Gainty
Jogi és Bizalmassági kinyilatkoztatás/Verzicht und Vertraulichkeitanmerkung/Note de déni et de confidentialité
 Ez az
üzenet bizalmas.  Ha nem ön az akinek szánva volt, akkor kérjük, hogy
jelentse azt nekünk vissza. Semmiféle továbbítása vagy másolatának
készítése nem megengedett.  Ez az üzenet csak ismeret cserét szolgál és
semmiféle jogi alkalmazhatósága sincs.  Mivel az electronikus üzenetek
könnyen megváltoztathatóak, ezért minket semmi felelöség nem terhelhet
ezen üzenet tartalma miatt.

To: [hidden email]
From: [hidden email]
Date: Thu, 26 Jul 2012 12:46:20 +0100
Subject: Re: [toad] Whats your killer feature?

      In a word, unicode.

--

Cheers,

Norm. [TeamT]

RE: What’s your killer feature?

SCHROEDER, NATHAN E (AG/1000)
Also:
Split editor
Favorite schemas
Test/reconnect all sessions
… and probably others that I have gotten so used to that I don’t remember they weren’t there in v9.

Nate Schroeder
Enterprise Services - Data Management Team
Monsanto Company
800 N. Lindbergh Blvd. B2SB - Saint Louis, MO - 63167
314-694-2592
This e-mail message may contain privileged and/or confidential information, and is intended to be received only by persons entitled
to receive such information. If you have received this e-mail in error, please notify the sender immediately. Please delete it and
all attachments from any servers, hard drives or any other media. Other use of this e-mail by you is strictly prohibited.

All e-mails and attachments sent and received are subject to monitoring, reading and archival by Monsanto, including its
subsidiaries. The recipient of this e-mail is solely responsible for checking for the presence of "Viruses" or other "Malware".
Monsanto, along with its subsidiaries, accepts no liability for any damage caused by any such code transmitted by or accompanying
this e-mail or any attachment.

The information contained in this email may be subject to the export control laws and regulations of the United States, potentially
including but not limited to the Export Administration Regulations (EAR) and sanctions regulations issued by the U.S. Department of
Treasury, Office of Foreign Asset Controls (OFAC).  As a recipient of this information you are obligated to comply with all

Re: Whats your killer feature?

Michael Moore
Best feature? Export to Excel or HTML Table. I love the way I can write a
query, export the results to excel or drop the HTML on the clipboard, paste
it into a email and off it goes.
Mike

2012/7/26 Martin Gainty <[hidden email]>

> **
>

>  Agreed!
>
> without UTF-32 support Toad has the structure and strength of the olympic
> stadium....(but without the covering)
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/UTF-32
>
> +1 for Unicode
> Martin Gainty
> Jogi és Bizalmassági kinyilatkoztatás/Verzicht und
> Vertraulichkeitanmerkung/Note de déni et de confidentialité
>
> Ez az üzenet bizalmas.  Ha nem ön az akinek szánva volt, akkor kérjük,
> hogy jelentse azt nekünk vissza. Semmiféle továbbítása vagy másolatának
> készítése nem megengedett.  Ez az üzenet csak ismeret cserét szolgál és
> semmiféle jogi alkalmazhatósága sincs.  Mivel az electronikus üzenetek
> könnyen megváltoztathatóak, ezért minket semmi felelöség nem terhelhet ezen
> üzenet tartalma miatt.

> Ce message est confidentiel et peut être privilégié. Si vous n'êtes pas le destinataire prévu, nous te demandons avec bonté que pour satisfaire informez l'expéditeur. N'importe quelle diffusion non autorisée ou la copie de ceci est interdite. Ce message sert à l'information seulement et n'aura pas n'importe quel effet légalement obligatoire. Étant donné que les email peuvent facilement être sujets à la manipulation, nous ne pouvons accepter aucune responsabilité pour le contenu fourni.
>

> ------------------------------
> To: [hidden email]
> From: [hidden email]
> Date: Thu, 26 Jul 2012 12:46:20 +0100
> Subject: Re: [toad] Whats your killer feature?
>

>  In a word, unicode.
>
> --
> Cheers,
> Norm. [TeamT]

Re: Whats your killer feature?

Brian R Trull
I use the feature to drag a column header to group data by that column all
the time. Was that available in 9.6? If so, then never mind.

Other than that, you have to jump all the way up to 11.5 to where they
improved the import table data functionality. I had some imports that used
to take over 10 minutes to upload. They now import in just a few seconds.
This feature alone ensures that I would never go back to a version prior to
11.5.

From: "r_squires" <[hidden email]>
To: [hidden email]
Date: 07/26/2012 01:21 AM
Sent by: [hidden email]

I was chatting with one of my colleagues who is still using TOAD 9.6 and I
asked him why he didn't upgrade to 11.5. He wasn't sure what the benefit
would be. We use the Schema Browser and SQL Editor primarily so the best I
could come up with were:

1. The editor now highlights every instance of a selection
2. You can compare the values of multiple lines of data in the data grid to
identify differences
3. Describing an object now groups all of your describes together so that
you don't have lots of describe windows all over the place

But, it got me thinking. What's your killer feature?

graycol.gif (144 bytes) Download Attachment
ecblank.gif (62 bytes) Download Attachment

Re: Whats your killer feature?

sdstuber
dbms_xplan  support in the explain plan tab

love it!

Brian R Trull <[hidden email]>
Sent by: [hidden email]
2012/07/26 10:54
Please respond to

cc

Subject
Re: [toad] Whats your killer feature?

I use the feature to drag a column header to group data by that column all
the time. Was that available in 9.6? If so, then never mind.

Other than that, you have to jump all the way up to 11.5 to where they
improved the import table data functionality. I had some imports that used
to take over 10 minutes to upload. They now import in just a few seconds.
This feature alone ensures that I would never go back to a version prior
to 11.5.

"r_squires" ---07/26/2012 01:21:11 AM---I was chatting with one of my
colleagues who is still using TOAD 9.6 and I asked him why he didn't u

From: "r_squires" <[hidden email]>
To: [hidden email]
Date: 07/26/2012 01:21 AM
Sent by: [hidden email]

I was chatting with one of my colleagues who is still using TOAD 9.6 and I
asked him why he didn't upgrade to 11.5. He wasn't sure what the benefit
would be. We use the Schema Browser and SQL Editor primarily so the best I
could come up with were:

1. The editor now highlights every instance of a selection
2. You can compare the values of multiple lines of data in the data grid
to identify differences
3. Describing an object now groups all of your describes together so that
you don't have lots of describe windows all over the place

But, it got me thinking. What's your killer feature?

_1_04F613C006C3D71C0052AA2785257A47 (142 bytes) Download Attachment
_1_04F63DB804F63B640052AA2785257A47 (60 bytes) Download Attachment

RE: Whats your killer feature?

Madvig, Daniel B
T-O-A-D

Daniel B Madvig
Campus Technologies

  <http://nwc.edu/>

Northwestern College & Northwestern Media
3003 Snelling Ave.
St. Paul, MN 55113
www.nwc.edu
<http://maps.yahoo.com/py/maps.py?Pyt=Tmap&addr=3003+Snelling+Ave.&csz=S
t.+Paul%2C+MN+55113&country=us>

651.631.5323

If life gives you melons, you may be lysdexic.

image001.jpg (3K) Download Attachment

RE: Whats your killer feature?

Simoneau, Roger
>> He wasn't sure what the benefit would be.

Well... here's one: it integrates better with the newer Oracle clients/databases - making use of the newer functionality.

For example, when Oracle first introduced object types, the version of Toad at the time could not readily display the data in the nested object.  However, along came a newer version of Toad which could then display the data in little popup windows.

Unless you freeze your Oracle DB upgrade path, freezing your client is just begging to have your client eventually be non-functional with your database.

Roger A. Simoneau
Systems Analyst
Alberta Blue Cross
(780) 498-8837

________________________________
This communication, including any attached documentation, is intended only for the person or entity to which it is addressed, and may contain confidential, personal and/or privileged information. Any unauthorized disclosure, copying, or taking action on the contents is strictly prohibited. If you have received this message in error, please contact us immediately so we may correct our records. Please then delete or destroy the original transmission and any subsequent reply.

RE: Whats your killer feature?

Dennis Paulus
There's a lot more than this, but this might help get you started.

Version

Features

11.5

Workspaces, APEX Export, Project Lucy, New Code Analysis Rules, Team Coding w CA, DBMS Xplan, Query Builder Rewrite

11

Code Analysis replaces CodeXpert, new Rerun menu item, data grid cell summary, SQL extraction, Team Coding rewrite, connection window enhancements

10.6

Editor window splitting, improved Schema Browser, support for Team Foundation Server 2010 and Perforce

10.5

New Code Road Map, Auto Debugger, improved Code Assist, Optimize Current SQL

10.1

Oracle 11gR2 support added, login window fix, various other fixes

10

Unicode support, updated user files folder structure to support roaming profiles, new ER Diagram tool, data grids standardized

9.7

AppDesigner debut, QP5 Formatter with full 10g support, UAC and Vista compliant installation structure, Trace File Browser

But, it got me thinking. What's your killer feature?

Re: Whats your killer feature?

Louis BROUILLETTE
I'm back from vacations this morning so that's why I'm a little late
with this.

How can you do # 2: compare the values of multiple lines of data in the
data grid  ???
Le 2012-07-26 01:21, r_squires a écrit :

> I was chatting with one of my colleagues who is still using TOAD 9.6
> and I asked him why he didn't upgrade to 11.5. He wasn't sure what the
> benefit would be. We use the Schema Browser and SQL Editor primarily
> so the best I could come up with were:
>
> 1. The editor now highlights every instance of a selection
> 2. You can compare the values of multiple lines of data in the data
> grid to identify differences
> 3. Describing an object now groups all of your describes together so
> that you don't have lots of describe windows all over the place
>
> But, it got me thinking. What's your killer feature?

--
Louis Brouillette
Chargé de projet informatique et technologique (DBA)
Université du Québec à Trois-Rivières
Tel: (819) 376-5011 ext. 2435
Email: [hidden email]

Re: Whats your killer feature?

michaelallaire

Step 1)  Select 2 or more record rows within an existing datagrid
resultset,
Step 2)  left click on icon in upper left corner of grid [hover text =
"click here to show/hide columns"]
Step 3)  with cursor hovering over checkbox column listing rendered from
step 2, right click to display context menu
Step 4)  select last option in context menu, "uncheck columns with
matching data in selected rows"

The remaining checked, visible columns should be only those with varying
values between the selected records.

--- In [hidden email], Louis BROUILLETTE <Louis.Brouillette@...>