(unknown)

Iris Watlington
Hi,

I'm new to TOAD. I have not received any training, tutorial, manual, etc. I have access to TOAD Data Modeler, TOAD for Data Analysts and TOAD for Oracle. There is a task for which I very little time to respond and I have been provided with 2 diagrams which are .erx files. Can someone please tell me how to OR if it's possible to import the files into TOAD and which option of TOAD I should be using for this? Your assistance is greatly appreciated.

Sincerely,

Iris

Iris Watlington
GSLC, MCSE, MCSA, MCP, Security+, Network+, A+
Industry Certified Professional
Dell Certified Systems Expert
Mobile Notary/Notary Signing Agent
E-mail: [hidden email]

RE: (unknown)

John Dorlon
I'm not sure what you mean by 'import into Toad', but if you want to view ER Diagram contained in the file, you can do this:

Open Toad for Oracle
From the main menu:  Database -> Report -> ER Diagram
Click the "open file" button and open the file.

I don't know if it came from you or not, but there was a support case that came in a few days ago where someone wanted to use the ERX files as a means to create database objects.  Toad for Oracle can only do that if you can connect to the database where the objects exist.

I don't know if Toad Data Modeler can create a script directly from the .erx file or not.

If you want to copy these objects from one database to the other, you can do it like this with Toad for Oracle:

1)      Open Toad for Oracle

2)      Connect to the database where all these objects exist

3)      From the main menu:  Database -> Report -> ER Diagram

4)      Click the "open file" button and open the file.

5)      Click the Export DDL button in the ER Diagram.

6)      Run the script produced by step 5) in the 'other' database, either from sql*plus or Toad for Oracle

E-mail: [hidden email]<mailto:[hidden email]>

RE: (unknown)

Bert Scalzo
.ERX files are ERwin data models. Toad for Oracle cannot handle these. Toad Data Modeler can - if the ERX was generated in an older version of ERwin (I think 7.x and older).

E-mail: [hidden email]<mailto:[hidden email]>

RE: (unknown)

John Dorlon
You can open them in Toad for Oracle.    I just did that a few days ago.

.ERX files are ERwin data models. Toad for Oracle cannot handle these. Toad Data Modeler can - if the ERX was generated in an older version of ERwin (I think 7.x and older).

E-mail: [hidden email]<mailto:[hidden email]>

Re: (unknown)

Iris Watlington
Hi John,

Yes. I believe that the diagrams that I was given are ERWin files. I would like to learn how to open them and if I recall correctly - I need to create logical and physical relationships....can't remember the exact wording. However, I believe that the goal is to get data models so that I can eventually upload them into ARIS somehow. As you can see, being new to all of this. I'm a bit lost!

To answer your other question, "No. I was not the person who posted the earlier comments." Thank you very much for your help. I'll give your directions a try.

________________________________

E-mail: [hidden email]

E-mail: [hidden email]

You can open them in Toad for Oracle.    I just did that a few days ago.

.ERX files are ERwin data models. Toad for Oracle cannot handle these. Toad Data Modeler can – if the ERX was generated in an older version of ERwin (I think 7.x and older).

Mobile Notary/Notary Signing Agent
E-mail: [hidden email]

RE: (unknown)

John Dorlon
Sorry, Iris, I don't know the answers to your questions...hopefully someone else will.

________________________________

You can open them in Toad for Oracle.    I just did that a few days ago.

.ERX files are ERwin data models. Toad for Oracle cannot handle these. Toad Data Modeler can – if the ERX was generated in an older version of ERwin (I think 7.x and older).

RE: (unknown)

Bert Scalzo
If my goal is to do both logical and physical data models - then I'd need to work in a data modeling tool. Plus that tool would have to support doing both logical and physical models - but 70% of the tools, especially the low cost ones only offer physical data model support. But Toad Data Modeler does both. So my advice would be to work in a data modeling tool like TDM, open the ERX file to create a starting point - and then create both models. Generally speaking logical data models are business requirements diagrams - whereas physical data models are blue prints of a particular database chosen and implemented for those reqs.

ERwin files generally speaking are more than likely going to be the physical model - or at least slanted that way. So you've got your work cut out for you no matter what. Far more education and instruction than can be handled via email - sorry :(

Bert

Sorry, Iris, I don't know the answers to your questions...hopefully someone else will.

________________________________
I was able to open the files in TOAD for Oracle following John's instructions. I have found my other notes for the request and my task is to create a logical and conceptual view of the diagrams that were created in ERWin. The ERWin diagram is like a hierarchical/functional tree or equivalent to an ARIS OV-5a diagram. I know a little about creating ARIS diagrams but am not sure how to get a logical and conceptual diagram from what I see. I apologize for asking so many questions but I am completely lost here. Building data models is something extremely new to me.

Sincerely,

Iris

Iris WatlingtonGSLC, MCSE, MCSA, MCP, Security+, Network+, A+Industry Certified ProfessionalDell Certified Systems ExpertMobile Notary/Notary Signing AgentE-mail: [hidden email]<mailto:[hidden email]>

E-mail: [hidden email]

If my goal is to do both logical and physical data models – then I’d need to work in a data modeling tool. Plus that tool would have to support doing both logical and physical models – but 70% of the tools, especially the low cost ones only offer physical data model support. But Toad Data Modeler does both. So my advice would be to work in a data modeling tool like TDM, open the ERX file to create a starting point – and then create both models. Generally speaking logical data models are business requirements diagrams – whereas physical data models are blue prints of a particular database chosen and implemented for those reqs.

ERwin files generally speaking are more than likely going to be the physical model – or at least slanted that way. So you’ve got your work cut out for you no matter what. Far more education and instruction than can be handled via email – sorry L

Bert

Sorry, Iris, I don't know the answers to your questions...hopefully someone else will.

You can open them in Toad for Oracle.    I just did that a few days ago.

.ERX files are ERwin data models. Toad for Oracle cannot handle these. Toad Data Modeler can – if the ERX was generated in an older version of ERwin (I think 7.x and older).

Mobile Notary/Notary Signing Agent
E-mail: [hidden email]

Re: (unknown)

manju v